When it comes to potty training dogs, those who have never before owned a pet face a lot of problems.
They just don’t know where to begin and panic at the first sign of discomfort. After all, being a pet parent is not an easy task.
Thankfully, though, there are now a lot of sources you can look toward to make sure that you house train your puppy properly and in no time at all.
Now, if you own a Yorkshire terrier, the steps to potty train or house train it might differ.
But before we dive into the specifics of how to potty train a Yorkie, let us first outline the basic house training tips for new pet parents out there.
Basic Tips For House Training Dogs
To begin with, you need to make sure that you don’t hold any unreal expectations.
Your puppy, Yorkshire Terrier, or otherwise, cannot be house trained and potty trained in a few weeks.
Just as humans, dogs, too, need time to be able to begin making sense of the world around them.
So, let us get the fact out of the way that pets will require anywhere between 3 to 6 months to get successfully house trained.
In cases of some puppies of specific breeds, though, it may take up to a year for them to get properly house trained.
- So, as a pet parent, you need to be patient and give your little puppy the time it needs to get fully trained. The size of the puppy is also a deciding factor when it comes to the time it takes to get trained.
- If you’ve bought your puppy from a store, its living conditions there were different. This is one of the reasons why you have to give it the time it needs. It is a matter of being patient and not getting too frustrated when you receive setbacks. The puppy will know if it seems you’re increasingly getting frustrated, and it will further slow down his pace of getting habitual to his surroundings.
- Another priceless tip when it comes to training puppies is constantly giving them rewards. Dogs tend to fight harder for rewards, and it will surely step up his pace a notch or two if you give him rewards for performing well during the training period.
- The correct time to start potty training your puppy is to start after at least ten weeks. At more than ten weeks old, the puppy slowly begins to gain proper control of his bowel movements and make sense of it all. Before that, you’ll be only forcing him to follow a routine when he has no absolutely any idea what he’s been asked to do.
In a nutshell, when their environment changes, puppies will surely take some time to get used to it.
- 7 Basic Dog Commands That Every Dog Should Know
- Best 10 Tips That Make Dog Training Easier
- Why Does My Dog Follow Me Everywhere?
They might get a little put off by the change, and it is understandable. All you need to do as a pet parent is to have patience and allow them the time they need.
Now that you know about the basic tips on house training a puppy let us now dive right into the important steps on how to potty train a Yorkshire Terrier.
Tips To Potty Train A Yorkie
When it comes to tips for training a Yorkshire Terrier, it is first important to know the nature of these beautiful dogs.
To begin with, Yorkies are mainly indoor pets who do not require much outdoor time in a day.
Similarly, they do not require much physical activity when unlike most other breeds. So, the ways to potty train them also has to be a little different.
There are many advantages of potty training your Yorkshire Terrier to eliminate indoors instead of having to go out every time.
Especially for those pet parents who don’t stay at home for long hours.
It is important that after a while, their little pup knows where to go without dirtying the entire house in his master’s absence.
So, let us now talk about the steps to use to perfectly potty train your beloved Yorkshire Terrier.
- To begin the training, all you need to do is a little activity. Place puppy pads a few yards away from where your puppy’s food is.
- Put a few pads at a distance of a few feet. Make sure you choose a place where there’s little disturbance, and the puppy can try and understand what you’re expecting of him.
- Next, you need to feed your Yorkshire Terrier and wait for twenty minutes as he rests.
- Now, once the twenty minutes have passed, take him to the puppy pads you’ve laid down for him at a few feet distance from each other.
- The next bit is interesting as it involves giving your dog a verbal command.
- You may choose what command you want to use and make sure that you don’t change it again to make it easier for the puppy.
- There are chances that your dog might not eliminate on the pads even after your command.
- In such a case, you can come back with him again after ten or fifteen minutes.
- As soon as your puppy does eliminate on your command and accurately on the puppy pad, do not forget to reward him with something for performing well in training.
- You can also choose to praise him verbally and cuddle him as a reward.
- There’s no reward more loved by dogs than the affection of their master.
- Make sure you do it every single time your puppy eliminates on the puppy pad as expected.
- As this activity goes on and your puppy continues to do well, you can then slowly and steadily reduce the number of puppy pads.
- A lot of puppy pads on his eliminating spots can sometimes confuse the puppy.
- So, as he improves, make it a little harder for him, and slowly he’ll grow used to eliminating right on that puppy pad.
It cannot be emphasized enough how important it is to keep rewarding your pet whenever he follows a command.
Given that you are patient with him and continue to show him enough affection, he’s sure to end up being perfectly trained in time.
Further Tips On Potty Training Your Yorkie
The basic steps on how to potty train your Yorkshire Terrier are now known. It is time to further investigate how to handle this entire process of training them.
The most important thing to understand among these tips is that it may take more time to train a Yorkshire Terrier when compared to other breeds.
This is because they’re a little more stubborn and might outright deny co-operating. Yet, given that your patient, he will surely reciprocate.
Another important point is that if your Yorkshire Terrier is properly trained to eliminate on puppy pads, he’ll grow sensitive to that surface.
This will mean that he will not eliminate outdoors anymore. Hence, you should only train them, so if you are willing to carry on with providing them puppy pads for a long time and it is a long-term commitment.
During the training, to make sure that your Yorkie is always attracted to the puppy pads, use soiled clothes and tissue for them to smell and eliminate where you want them to.
Learn More Tips And Tricks To Potty Train Your Yorkie
Apart from the tips and steps mentioned here, you should further look for tips to potty train your puppies.
For instance, if you have a dog from a different breed, you can easily find tips and steps specific to their behavior.
There is no shortage of sources online that can assist you in becoming good pet parents for your beloved pups.
A lot of responsibilities come with owning a pet. You will need a little bit of help now and then, and the internet has that for you.
Read thoroughly to know what is good for your pets at different stages for their life. Only by being acutely aware of their behavior can you provide your pets with the right care.
So, what are you waiting for? Start browsing websites and find more and more suggestions on how to house train your Yorkie.
You can also find sources that tell you more about the behavior of Yorkshire Terriers.
The kind of food they prefer eating and how many hours of human affection they ideally need.
Everything ranging from the most minute details is available for you to learn from.
Go ahead and don’t miss a chance to become just the pet parent your Yorkie will love to live with.
The cornerstone of all these tips and steps has to be your patience. You have to give your pet the time he needs to get fully trained.
Hurrying into things or losing hope of training him will only affect his mind, and even he’ll feel worthless. Make sure you understand if there are a few setbacks in the way.